Eger - attractions and sights in Eger region
Churches in Eger region
The Cathedral of Eger
One of the biggest churches of Hungary, the Cathedral of Eger was built between 1831 and 36 in classical style. The length of the church is 93 metres, the width 53 metres, while the towers arising next to the sanctuary are 54 metres high. A wide staircase is leading to the main entrance of the Cathedral. On both sides there are stone sculptures of Marco Casagrande: St. Stephen and King László, as well as St. Peter and St Paul. The tympanum and the 8 chorinthos column give the character of the entrance and facade. The church is covered by 3 cupolas. The nave and aisles determine a cross ground shape. The picture of the high altar is the work of a wiener painter József Donhauser from 1835 and illustrates the death of St. John as being lugged to the hot caldron. The cathedral houses the biggest organ of Hungary that was built at the end of the XIX. century by Ludwig Moser from Salzburg.
Eger Minorite Church
The main point of interest of the Dobó square is the former Minorite Church. The church and the decorations both outside and inside are considered to be one of the most beautiful creation of mature Baroque art. Carillon is played from the church every day at 11:00, 15:00 and 18:00.
Bélapátfalva - Abbey Church
The abbey was founded by the bishop of Eger (II. Kilit) in 1232 for the Cistercian monks, who settled here from France. The Romanesque style church of the abbey is an internationally recorded historical monument. The old Romanesque stlye church was rebuilt in the XIV-XV. century in Gothic style. The former monastic quarters next to the church was destroyed during the XVI. century and only some ruins remain.
Feldebrő - Crypt
In the middle of the settlement rises the church of Feldebrő of which crypt from the X.-XI. century stayed untouched. Formerly it was presumably the monastery and cemetery of the Aba clan, first mentioned around 1220. The church was rebuilt several times. In the XIII. century in Romanesque style with 3 naves; In the XV. century the a Gothic style gate was built at the southern part of the church; In the XVIII. century during the time of Antal Grassalkovich the church was rebuilt again. Special curiosity are the Romanesque pillars, burial vault, ruins of the Altar and the frescoes.
Gyöngyöspata - church
The settlement's former church from the XI. century was destroyed during the Tartar invasion. The Gothic church in the middle of Gyöngyöspata was built in the XV. and rebuilt in the XVII. century. The Baroque ornament, the Jessze-altar was built at that time and it represents the family tree of Jesus Christ. The famous codex (Graduale of Pata) from the XVI. century, which is to be found in the Széchenyi Library.
Gyöngyös - Szent Bertalan church
The St. Bertalan parish church of Gyöngyös was built on the place of a former church (first written memories are from 1301) at around 1350, and was enlarged at the end of the XV. century to a Gothic Cathedral. The big Gothic twin-windows on the two side of apsis remind to this. The church was rebuilt between 1746-56 in Baroque style. The unified Baroque furniture of the inner of the church is from the XVII.-XVIII. century. The special curiosity of the church is the Gothic bronze font from the XV. century at the southern part of the sanctuary. A bell is staying at the southern side gate and raise a memory of the 1917 fire damaging the church heavily.
Pétervására - Catholic church with double tower
The church was built by Ferenc Povolny Ferenc between 1812 and 1817. The double-towered parish church is the earliest relic of the Hungarian Romantic architecture from 1812. In the inner part of the building you can see the XVIII. century carved pews with spiral decoration, and the tabernacle from 1770. Under the church lies the crypt of the Keglevich family, the builder of the church. The altar-piece is the work of János Hesz, painter from Eger.
Váraszó - Church of the age of the Árpáds
The former church of the settlement was built in the XIII. century in Roman style and enlarged in the XVI. and XVIII. centuries. The church is laying on a hill in the middle of Váraszó with relics of Roman style walls, Gothic frescoes and an independent bell-tower of wood.