Museums in Eger and Its Surroundings
Eger - Dobó István Castle Museum
It is one of the most visited museums in Hungary. It houses several temporary and permanent exhibitions on the site of the Castle of Eger. The visitor can get acquainted with the history of the castle in the Gothic Episcopal Palace and in the Wax Museum we can meet the life-sized wax figures of the main characters from the book 'Egri csillagok'. In the Heros' Room the full name list of the castle defenders of the 1552 siege can be seen as well as the original grave stone of the castle commander, István Dobó. The visitorcan get a glimpse into one part of the casle's underground stronghold system called Casemate. Géza Gárdonyi, the writer of the novel 'Egri csillagok' ('The Stars of Eger') was also buried in the castle, his tomb can be found in the south-east part of the castle.
The Picture Gallery can be found in the building to the left of the Episcopal Palace. Here the visitor will be able to see the works of several Hungarian and foreign baroque painters, among them Antal Ligeti's "A szepesi vár alkonyatkor" ("The Castle of Szepes at Dusk"), Canaletto's "Velencei részlet" ("Part of Venice") and Millet's "Hegyes táj" ("Landscape with Mountains").
Eger - Archiepiscopal Collection
An exhibition showing the two and a half century history of the bishops and archbishops of Eger (1699-1943). Church treasures and objects of great value are on display here, which are goldsmith's works and textile works from the 18th and 19th century: pyx, reliquary, cups, cloaks and mass costumes.
Eger - Memorial Museum of Géza Gárdonyi
The writer moved from Gárdony to a house next to the Castle of Eger. He had another house built for his family, while in his house he covered his windows with boards, his doors with cushioning and had light coming from the roof so as never to be disturbed when working. The memorial museum consists of three rooms with the writer's furniture, everyday objects and a library in them. This is where his most famous novel 'Egri csillagok' was written after almost two years of work (he finished it on 26th October 1899.) as well as 'Láthatatlan ember' ('Invisible Man') and 'Isten rabjai' ('Prisoners of God'). In the house the visitor can see the library of the writer consisting of several thousand volumes, half of which is in German and French, his desk with his type-writer and numerous manuscripts, among them notes written in cipher.
Eger - Palots Folk Art Exhibition
The exhibition presents folk art of the Palots Land from Heves County. Wood-carvings made by sheperds (poles, drinking spoons), handwoven objects (especially home textiles, tent sheet, milk loaf shawl, farewell satchels), costumes for men and women and folk ceramics are exhibited in the building. A bathroom of the Palots house is also on display.
Eger - Telekessy Pharmacy Museum
The pharmacy was founded by Jesuits in 1713 in their monastery from the donation of bishop István Telekessy, hence the name of the museum. In 1900 it was placed where you can see it today and was a pharmacy until 1968 and in 1987 it opened as a museum with restored furniture and pharmacy equipment. The furniture, made of oak with baroque-rococo ornaments, was construed between 1745 and 1746 in the monastery of Eger. The visitor can also see here chemist's utensils, wooden jars and medical vials.
Eger - Museum of Fire-fighting
The history of the town's fire brigade starting from the 1900s. It is the only museum of this nature in Hungary. The visitor can observe the fire-fighting vehicles and fire-fighting equipment from the period as well as photographs of the fire-brigade.
Eger - National Wine Museum
The István Cellar - Wine Museum is the only wine museum in Hungary where all the 300 different types of quality and museum piece wines from the country's 22 wine-countries can be found in one place in a natural environment. Hollowed from rhyolite tuff between 1789 and 1799, the 200-year old cellar system houses a display of ancient winery equipment and the visitor can also examine the ripening of the cellar's wines. Tour guiding is available in Hungarian, English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
Eger - Historical House
In the permanent exhibition of Sándor Tóth's private collection of weaponry the visitor can see weapons and battle equipment ranging from the prehistoric times to the war of independence. Firearms, conventional weapons, sabres and swords occupy twenty show-cases in an area of 235 square metres.
Eger - Museum of Sports
The museum presents a 100-year sporting history of swimming and water-polo in Eger, as well as international awards won by the Hungarian swimming and water-polo national teams, sport diplomacy relics of the international sport and olympic movement of Hungary and of Heves County and the museum also displays the results and medals achieved in the Olympic Games by sportsmen from Heves County.
Eger and Heves County in the 18th and 19th century
Exhibition of regional history.
Eger - The 200-year-old István Cellar and Wine Museum
The museum presents the wine-countries of Hungary and exhibits old, museum piece equipment used in wine producing.
Eger - Exhibition of Hungarian Carriages
Exhibiting Hungarian used carriages, carts, still carts, sets of harnesses and the Hungarian ship style.
Gyöngyös - Museum of Mátra
Exhibition of town history entitled ' The History of Gyöngyös From the 10th Century Until Today' including an exhibition of natural history, microarium-vivarium, living animals, a permanent exhibition of hunting and game management and the only mammoth skeleton in Hungary which has been perfectly preserved.
Szilvásvárad - Museum of the Lippizan Horse
An exhibition presenting the history of the Lippizan horse, harness sets, horse representation in folk art and a stud stable.
Heves - Folk Art Exhibition
The arts and crafts and ethnographical exhibition is housed in the building of Folk Art and Domestic Industry Co-operative of Heves County. In a shop the visitor can buy the textiles which have peculiar motifs and can also try their hands at weaving and at making gift objects.
Mátrafüred - Palots Ethnographical Private Collection and Doll Exhibition
The most beautiful works of Palots folk art, wood-carvings, handwoven objects.
Kisnána - Castle Museum
A museum has been set up in the 15th century gothic castle of the Kompolti family in Kisnána. From the tower of the castle the visitor gets a fine view of the environs. Not far from the entrance of the castle a Slovakian peasant house, which is arranged as a village museum, is well worth seeing.
The Village of Boldog - Regional House
The village of Boldog is the most loyal settlement in preserving the local traditions of Heves County. The Regional House refreshingly presents local Palots architecture, richly decorated national dresses, festive traditions and handicraft.
Heves - Chess Museum
A private collection which preserves almost 20 thousand chess-related relics from 36 countries.